Friday 31 August 2012

Reading


Whilst working my way through university I used to work in a book exchange and then in a bookstore. I saw all of these women – intelligent, articulate, often professionals – reading romances. I thought: 'Why?'. I saw all of these boys reading 'Commando' war comics. I thought: 'Why?'.

Then it occurred to me one day: they're reading something.

So many people read nothing, or very little, which I've never understood. How can you understand yourself and the world around you if you don't read? At the very least, I would think life would be so much more boring if you didn't read.

So, here's to everybody who reads something everyday: horror, bodice-rippers, fantasy, comic books, erotica, sci-fi, women's magazines, biographies, you name it. You're reading, improving your mind, and having a great time in the process.

As for me, I just finished 'Love and Summer' by Williams Trevor. It's a lovely, short book about young love in Ireland. One more novel to read for college and I then can get back to reading the fiction I love reading most: Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Dan Simmons, Anne Rice, Clive Barker, Whitley Strieber, Michael Crichton and more. Then there's the whole shelf of zombie novels ...


No comments:

Post a Comment