Monday 3 September 2012

Write it out


How good is writing?

In the words of the latest Pink song, 'Blow Me (One Last Kiss)': 'I had a sh*t day.'

But I fixed that right up by sitting down to write a story for college. We had to write a symbolic piece. That is, one where you layer the symbolism into and onto the story. I'm always joking about Freudian imagery in film – sometimes a tunnel is just a tunnel, and sometimes a rocket in just a rocket – so I thought I would add some sexual imagery to my story.

Well, didn't I go to town.

It's not '50 Shades of Grey' (thank God) but I had a fun time writing it. And I managed to keep it under 1,500 words. Yes, yes, it was only supposed to be 500 words, but as I've said this year: I can't even clear my throat in under 500 words.

And I feel sooooo much better for sitting down and writing myself happy again. I heartily encourage it.

It reminds that my Mum and my Nana used to tell my Dad, when he was down or annoyed, to 'Go and play a tune on the goanna, Don'. Dad would apparently sit down to the piano and start pounding away on the keys, playing and singing songs. Not long after, he would get up, perspiration dripping from his brow, but feeling much better. There's a lot to be said for the catharsis you get from having a go at being creative.


No comments:

Post a Comment